The New Canaan Society for the Arts is authorized to rent the Carriage Barn’s expansive 1,600 square foot gallery to organizations or persons for private functions, when the Carriage Barn is not in use by the NCSA, in order to financially support the community mission of NCSA.
Conveniently located in Waveny Park, the Carriage Barn offers an artistic, sophisticated, and unpretentious atmosphere. Since 2011, we have hosted a wide array of events, including:
- functions of local non-profit and service organizations
- social events
- memorial services
- family parties
Our gallery is versatile and may be configured in a variety of fashions.
*Supporters at the Gold Benefactor Level ($3,000+ per year) and above are eligible for one rental fee waived, per year. Become a member at this level here.
Private rate: $800 (6-hour maximum)
Nonprofit rate: $650 (6-hour maximum)
It is our strict policy that these rates are clocked from the moment the barn is entered by the renter and related parties (for deliveries, set-up, organizing) to the complete exit of all involved (that the Barn is left as found, all cleanup concluded, and doors locked). For any hour after the maximum agreed upon 6-hours, $12 per every 10 minutes will accrue, amounting in up to $120 for the first hour of overage time. Higher rates are subject to apply after the first hour beyond the 6-hour maximum. If you anticipate needing more than 6 hours for your rental, please contact the Carriage Barn to discuss your needs at (203)594-3638.
Rentals include use of the gallery and up to 160 people.
- The gallery must be absolutely vacated by 11:30pm. We recommend ending your rental at 11:00pm, with your event closing and lights on at 10:30pm, which would provide you with 1/2 hour cleanup, and a 1/2 hour buffer to be out no later than 11:30pm.
SCHEDULING YOUR RENTAL
The Carriage Barn is available for rental year-round. However, we prefer to host rentals when there is art on our walls, to renter’s who appreciate our atmosphere and the talented works we choose to share in our space. The Carriage Barn is typically closed and empty during the months of July and August (and is not air-conditioned).
Rentals usually do not occur during regular gallery hours, but occasional exceptions can be made- please call to inquire. September through June, during exhibitions, our gallery hours (not suitable for rental times) are: Wednesday through Saturday, 10am-3pm and Sundays, 1-5pm. Mondays and Tuesdays are preferred rental days for us, as the gallery is then not open to the general public and we have the most flexibility with hours (all day).
If you are interested in renting our space during gallery hours, please book as far in advance as possible.
Please fill out a Facility Request Form to get started. We will respond regarding the approval of your request within two weeks.
You can also call (203) 594-3638 to discuss your event needs or to schedule a tour.
- Rentals for weddings and wedding receptions are not allowed. Please visit the information page at Waveny House Rentals if you are looking to organize a wedding.
- Under the requirements of section 42-8.F of the Town Code, no person shall sell of offer for sale any merchandise, article or articles whatsoever in a park without the written consent of the Selectmen.
- The gallery must be absolutely vacated by 11:30pm. We recommend ending your rental at 11:00pm, with your event closing and lights on at 10:30pm, which would provide you with 1/2 hour cleanup, and a 1/2 hour buffer to be out no later than 11:30pm. Renters are responsible for setting up and breaking down tables and chairs as well as the removal of all personal belongings before final clean-up. If the 11:30pm curfew is violated, the Renter will forfeit their deposit.
- Each renter is required to provide general liability insurance coverage naming the Town as an additional insured, in the minimum amount of $1,000,000 with specific coverage for alcohol claims whenever alcoholic liquors are allowed or provided at the event. Such insurance covering the Town and renter might be available through the Town’s insurer under the TULIP program, or through the Renter’s personal insurance. NCSA advises to price quote and obtain your general liability insurance coverage by visiting www.theeventhelper.com.
- Since there is not a commercially equipped kitchen in the Carriage Barn Arts Center’s space, food preparation and service is restricted. Each renter offering food at any function shall comply with all requirements of the New Canaan Health Department regarding food preparation and service. More information can be found at www.newcanaan.info, including an applicable Health Department form for those looking to host a catered event, here.
- Renters with a group of 50 or more people where alcohol will be served, must hire a New Canaan Police Officer to be on duty during the event. This is an additional expense and the Renter is responsible for payment. The Renter must contact the New Canaan Police Department at (203)594-3500 to make arrangements. Police supervision should begin at least 15 minutes prior to the first arrival of guests and conclude after all guests have departed and only the clean-up crew remains. The New Canaan Police Department will send the Renter a separate invoice for the Police Supervision. This must be paid and satisfied before the Carriage Barn Deposit is returned.