The Carriage Barn Arts Center kicked-off it’s 45th Anniversary Season with the Annual Member Show — the organization’s longest-running art exhibition. This exhibit celebrates the range, interests, and talents of artist members working across all subjects, styles, and media.
Hours: Wednesday – Saturday from 10am-3pm and Sunday 1-5pm * note gallery will close to the public at 4pm on Sept. 18 and Oct. 2 for private events
Connie Brown’s painting Flight was awarded the Betty Barker Award and a $250 prize. Special recognition to Miggs Burroughs (Sign Language), Cynthia Cooper (Untitled Prime (Rise)), and Robert Sachs (Wonder Wheel). The award was established in 2017 in honor of Betty Barker (1920-1997), a prolific and accomplished artist who was the driving force in establishing the Carriage Barn Arts Center.
IMPORTANT DATES: Submission Deadline: Tuesday, August 16 (passed) Notification via email: Wednesday, August 24 Artwork Delivery: August 28/29 between 11am–2pm Opening Day: Saturday, Sept. 10 from 4-6pm Gallery Artist Talk: Saturday, Sept. 17 from 11-12:30pm Carriage Barn Annual Meeting & Closing Panel: Wednesday, Oct. 5, 6:30pm Artwork Pickup: Oct. 9 3-5pm and Oct.10 10am-2pm
ELIGIBILITY: Open to all current or new members. Please submit up to three original works no larger than 30 x 40 inches (or 36″ x 36″), not previously exhibited at the Carriage Barn Arts Center. The theme is open and all media is accepted, including sculpture installations (indoor or outdoor) and video. To enter, membership must be current for the duration of the show through October 9, 2022 (if you are unsure the status of your membership, please email [email protected]).
SPECIFICATIONS: 2D work must be delivered to the gallery ready-to-hang and no larger than 30 x 40 inches (or 36″ x 36″) including frame. We use the Walker Hanging System, work should be appropriately wired or cleated with adequate support. Sculpture and installations may also be submitted for display in the gallery or outside in the courtyard. Work must remain on exhibit for the entire show. Saw tooth hangers and small wire loops on the back of inexpensive frames, scratched glass and Plexiglas, poorly constructed frames, and poorly cut mats will not be accepted. Submissions received without payment will not be considered. The Carriage Barn Arts Center reserves the right to reject any artwork due to inadequate preparation for installation or for potential security or public safety issues. There is a daily storage charge of $10/day for any work left at the gallery after the show without prior arrangements made for an alternative pickup date and time.IMPORTANT: Upload image file appropriately sized and specifically labeled: “lastname_firstname_entry#_title” (all lowercase). Example: smith_mary_1_butterflies.jpg. Submit your image as .jpeg, maximum file size 3 MB, minimum file size 100 KB, maximum image width 2000 pixels.
SALES: We encourage exhibitors to enter works that are for sale. For any works sold, artists receive 65% of the sale price before tax. The Carriage Barn Arts Center and New Canaan Society for the Arts retains the remaining 35% as a transaction fee. While the New Canaan Society for the Arts [NCSA] supports exhibitors who are seeking to sell their work by putting prospective buyers in touch with member artists, the determination of value and other terms of a sale remain a matter between the artist and the prospective buyer throughout the sale process.
LIABILITY AND INSURANCE: Insurance covers work accepted for exhibition while in possession of the NCSA. Upon delivery of work, artist must sign a consignment and liability form conceding that the NCSA assumes no responsibility beyond the applicable limit of our insurance coverage. If the liability form remains unsigned, the NCSA can only insure to the extent of 50% of the value accepted and/or determined by the insurance company less any deductible. The work will be insured 100% if the artist presents a third-party appraisal.All care will be taken while art is at the Carriage Barn, but NCSA is not responsible for any loss or damage to the artwork during delivery, installation, and de-installation including, by way of example but not limitation, normal wear and tear, such as minor nicks to frames or scratches to Plexiglas. NCSA will not be liable for work not claimed after specified pick-up dates and times.
IMAGE USE RIGHTS: Artist’s recognition is provided with any use. By submission for jurying, artists whose submissions are chosen for the exhibition grant The Carriage Barn Arts Center the right to use their images for the purpose of promoting the artist, promoting the Center’s programs, promoting exhibitions and subsequent display on the Center’s website of current and past exhibitions. Promotions and images may also be placed on social networks with artist credit.