Sunday, April 19 – Sunday, June 14, 2015
Artwork in all media will be considered. Artists should make note of exact materials and any distinctive presentation of the artwork if applicable.
This art show celebrates the history of the 19th century Carriage Barn in Waveny Park, New Canaan. The Carriage Barn, which was restored by the Lapham family in 1913, originally housed horses, carriages, and cars. Jack Lapham, who was fond of flying, introduced airplanes to his parents’ Waveny estate. This rich history of vehicles at Waveny will be presented in a curated section of the exhibition.
Works in all media will focus on the various modes of transportation, from the past to the present. The design of cars and motorcycles is an art form in itself and its aesthetic qualities have inspired artists for generations. Approximately 90 works by contemporary artists will be displayed with three vintage motorcycles from a private collection and vintage racing posters.
GUEST CURATOR AND JUROR
Marianne Brunson Frisch, an art and automobile curatorial and public relations professional, is principal at Marianne B. Frisch Communications. She is Director of Media Relations for The Alden Sherman Classic automobile show and was Director of Media Relations and Programs for the Fairfield County Concours d’Elegance and Director of The CWJ Classic Automobile Museum. She worked on the curatorial staff of The Museum of Modern Art, New York, and was the Curator of the Reader’s Digest Association’s 8,000-piece art collection. Marianne is a member of ArtTable, Co-Founder of the Association of Motoring Enthusiasts, and Board member of the International Motor Press Association and the Horseless Carriage Club of America/Antique Automobile Club of America, Fairfield County, Connecticut Region.
Entry Deadline: Thursday, March 12, 2015
Announcement of Juror’s Selection: Saturday, March 21
Delivery of Artwork: Monday, April 13, 10 am – 2 pm; 5-7 pm
Opening Reception: Sunday, April 19, 3-5 pm
Show closes: Sunday, June 14
Pick-up after the show: Monday, June 15, 10 am – 2 pm; 5-7 pm
Please note that work not picked-up at the designated time will be charged a $20 storage fee.
– Work previously exhibited at the Carriage Barn will not be accepted for the show.
– Work must remain on exhibit for the entire show. No exceptions.
– Work must be wired for hanging. Hanging mechanism is the Walker hanging system. Saw tooth hangers and small wire loops on the back of inexpensive frames, scratched glass and plexiglass, poorly constructed frames, and poorly cut mats are not acceptable. Framed work should be under glass or plexiglass unless it is intentionally unframed and professionally presented. White or ivory mats are preferred.
Two-dimensional works must be wired for hanging.
The Walker hanging system is used for two-dimensional work and wall sculpture. Weight should not exceed what can be lifted by two art handlers.
NOTE: The curator reserves the right to reject any work at delivery whose presentation and quality is sub-standard.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND FEE:
A maximum of 5 works per artist will be accepted for a non-refundable fee:
New Canaan Society for the Arts Members: $20 for up to 2 and $30 for up to 5 entries.
Non-members: $35 for up to 2 and $45 for up to 5 entries. Pay online with PayPal. There are no refunds for work accepted or not selected.
Become a member today for reduced entry fees!
PREPARE YOUR IMAGES TO ENTER ONLINE:
1. Resize your images to 72 dpi and not larger than 8” x 8”. Suggested pixel size is 1024 inches in largest dimension. Or save the images for “web” in the photo program on your computer and they will automatically be sized correctly for uploading.
2. Save the newly sized images as a .jpg file and rename each image file with your name, the entry number and the short title. Follow this example exactly including the underscore marks and capitalization. Example: Smith_Mary_01ShortTitle.jpg
TWO WAYS TO ENTER
Enter online (preferred entry method):
- Fill out the Entry Form online. Click here for Entry Form
- Upload .jpg image sized and labeled as described above
- Click SUBMIT, then Payment method is PayPal, or call the Carriage Barn with your credit card information.
- You will receive a submission confirmation email.
Mail Entries (alternative submission method):
- Burn a CD of .jpg images sized and labeled as above.
- Complete the entry form (without uploading images) Click here for Entry Form and SUBMIT.
- You will receive a confirmation email.
- Include a printed copy of entry form with your CD.
- Include a check made out to New Canaan Society for the Arts. Submissions received without payment will not be considered by the juror.
- Send to:
Carriage Barn Arts Center (Attention: Art of the Vehicle Show)
P.O. Box 1044
New Canaan, CT, 06840
- Must be RECEIVED by March 12.
- Include a self addressed stamped CD mailer with your entry only if you would like your CD returned.
You may enter works that are for sale. New Canaan Society for the Arts receives a 40% fee on sales.
LIABILITY AND INSURANCE:
Insurance covers work accepted for exhibition while in possession of the New Canaan Society for the Arts. Upon delivery of work, the artist must sign a consignment and liability form in order for the work to be insured. The New Canaan Society for the Arts will insure to the extent of 50% of the value accepted by the insurance company less any deductible. The work will be insured 100 % if the artist presents a third-party appraisal. The New Canaan Society for the Arts will not be liable for work not claimed after specified pick-up dates and times. All care will be taken while art is at the Carriage Barn Arts Center, but the New Canaan Society for the Arts is not responsible for any loss or damage to the artwork during delivery, installation and de-installation or for normal wear and tear, such as minor nicks to frames or scratches to plexiglass.